I don't know about the rest of you, but I actually pause when someone asks me about my profession. Each and every time I'll wage a cerebral war with myself on the pros/cons of telling this complete stranger about what I do, because 75% of the time the next words will be, "So I have this dog...".

Monday, September 13, 2010

hurry doc, I need this fixed real quick like.

At least that's what I usually hear. Not the couple that came in with their 5 year old daughter and two 1 year old cats. Their idea of a quick fix is measured on the scale of ice ages. During their annual exams, I noticed fleas.

me: "So your cats have started to go outside? How long have they had the fleas?" (leading into a conversation about life expectancy of indoor vs outdoor cats, fleas, parasites, vaccines, etc).

mrs. tortoise: "Yeah, we can't seem to keep them in. They've had the fleas about 3 months. Oh, and do you know why she's been urinating outside the litter box?"

me: "Um, no I didn't realize she was doing that. How long has that been going on?"

mr. tortoise: "Every other day or so for about 6 months. We figured it might be a bladder infection and she'd need some antibiotics."

When I told them that it could take months to get the urinalysis back (joking of course), I guess I wasn't surprised that neither of them seemed the least bit shocked. Their recheck appointment is scheduled in.....well, we'll probably do it during their next annual exam in 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment